Re: [OM] An OM Zuiko 600/6.5 picture

Subject: Re: [OM] An OM Zuiko 600/6.5 picture
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2015 09:50:42 -0600
>      Adding a weight to the bottom of the tripod column, such as a sack of
> rocks or sand, helps to reduce the vibration.

Not in this case. The vibration is above the tripod mount itself. The
lens is so long and the weight so far out from the mount, that it will
just start rocking. Then if there is a wind, it just starts to shake.

Best results I got from the lens was with one hand placed out on the
lens shade. I even hung things from the lens itself. Anything to add
mass that would counter the harmonics. It's about the only lens I've
ever used that had this problem to this extent. Another technique I
would use is setting it on my rolled up coat, laying on the hood of my
car.

I think the lens is really great for "lock-down" usage. The focus
method is among worse-ever. These days, with my moon pictures, I
wouldn't mind having one again, but it's far too specialized of a lens
for me to invest in.

AG