Re: [OM] An OM Zuiko 600/6.5 picture

Subject: Re: [OM] An OM Zuiko 600/6.5 picture
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2015 14:44:59 -0600
Short Moose wrote:
> One of the things on my vague project list is trying out some long MF lenses
> on the E-M5 II.
> I've not tried the Tokina AT-X 150-500/5.6 since my 5D, where it
> underwhelmed...

I've been using the AT-X 100-300/4 on my 4/3 mount cameras for quite
some time now. It is better than the OM Zuiko 300/4.5 in regards to
CA, but the Zuiko is a bit sharper and less vibration-prone.  The AT-X
is low-contrast soft wide open, but at F5.6 it is OK. By F8, it's
cat's meow.

But that vibration rocking thing is something the AT-X 100-300 is
prone to do and in winds it will do odd things too. Not nearly as bad
as the 600/6.5, but it is there. I can lock the poor tripod head down
with an iron clamp, and it still takes a couple seconds to settle down
after you touch the camera. That's why I usually use 2 second shutter
delay.

The 300/4.5 is pretty solid, unless it's on an OM body without a
winder or motordrive. I think it really needs to have that mass on the
back side of the mount to settle down the harmonics. It's not a
total-mass thing, but a CG thing. The OM-2S is certainly the best
camera for use with this lens, though, because of the shutter lag.

AG (not so short) Schnozz