Re: [OM] Bales and Farm House - OM-3Ti and 28/2 Lens

Subject: Re: [OM] Bales and Farm House - OM-3Ti and 28/2 Lens
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 2015 13:13:32 -0800
On 12/17/2015 6:32 AM, Ken Norton wrote:
An alternative vision.
<http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/Others/AG/BalesHouse.htm>
I agree with that adjustment. I had it like that before, but backed it
off a touch because it looked a bit too edgy on some monitors.

Mine is not entirely straight. :-) I didn't like the way the grain clumped unevenly, so I NRed the sky. I wouldn't mind a little grain, but not so uneven. Then a bit of LCE and/or sharpening, hand adjusted to keep the fine twig details from going funny. Foreground got LCE and some tonal adjustment.

This is
an example of changing aesthetics where we've gotten much "louder" in
our photographs and a peaceful, tranquil scene are no longer
acceptable. Everything has to take on an "in you face" look.

There's a collective pronoun again ... My feeling is that I was early to that crisp/harsh/loud look, and have been backing off from a little to a lot as most everyone else seems to have dashed forward. Better hardware, software, larger pixel dimensions for web images and experience make it easier to get there while being subtler. :-)

The entire set of photographs from this location will wait until I
make optical work prints in the darkroom. Scanning of the negatives
creates digital files far inferior in tonality and grain to scanned
work prints. I spent far too long on this image trying to get
something that was even as good as a sloppy test print.

I'll be interested to see how it looks after the optical work print process.

Volumetric Moose