Re: [OM] Legacy lens for copy work

Subject: Re: [OM] Legacy lens for copy work
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 2015 21:09:54 -0800
On 12/21/2015 12:15 PM, Ken Norton wrote:
Mike wrote:
Yeah, I know the subject line says "legacy" and the 50/3.5 was at the
top of the heap...back then. I know that you are looking for an excuse
to justify the collection on the shelf. You don't need one around here
:) Frankly leave it on the shelf. (OK, occasionally fondle)  If it's
just a tool you want and not the nostalgia then I would use the
overlooked 4:3's 35mm. Probably sharper and digital correction is
available with DxO etc. It's dirt cheap too. Easy
Certainly an option. The issue with the 50/3.5 is the much longer
effective focal length for copy work. What I've found is that when you
can keep the 50/3.5 within 18 inches of the subject, all is well with
the world. But beyond that distance, you'll get a bit of distortion.
While it remains flat-fielded, the image will just start to pucker up
like Donald Trump's sucking lemons face.

Mine hasn't been used much farther from a subject than that for many, many years. The 50/1.4 is much nicer for "normal" distances.

The 35mm 4/3 lens is definitely worth the try. I'm not loving it
because 70mm equivalent focal length is my fish/fowl thing. Too long
to be short, too short to be long. Just an unloved focal length for
me.

The problem for me would be working distance. Sure, it's got the AoV of a 70 mm, but the working distance is still that of a 35 mm lens. Get in that close, and the bug can carve its name (Kilroy, of course) in the lens FE. :-) Possibly good for what Bill is looking to do, though.

I'm never looking for shorter macro working distance, almost always for longer. The 60/2.8 macro for µ4/3 is a much better FL for me. Also bigger and more expensive, but also optically better.

Truth to tell, though, most of my macro is done with the 12-50.

Distance from Working Moose