Re: [OM] Re-photography vs. scanning of slides, was: Legacy lens for cop

Subject: Re: [OM] Re-photography vs. scanning of slides, was: Legacy lens for copy work
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 27 Dec 2015 16:57:09 -0800
On 12/27/2015 3:15 AM, Chuck Norcutt wrote:
Thanks for the feedback. Now I know I don't have to wait for the E-M1 Mk II. Neither do I have any reason for further procrastination. :-)

I didn't use the bellows. With 50/3.5 mounted, the minimum extension doesn't allow focus with the full frame covered. I could put the lens directly on the camera, camera on the Focusing Stage and replace the bellows with that set-up. Unfortunately, as you've pointed out before for other cameras, base plate to lens center distances vary, while the macro rail and all its accessories are set for the OM distance.

It's not easy to measure this parameter. The OM and OMDs are close, but it looks like the OMD distance may be slightly greater. If so, a simple shim won't work. :-( For film copying, though, a tiny difference might not matter. One would have to test it.

It all seemed to complicated to me for a simple test. I just mounted the E-M5 II on a Macrophoto Stand with Extension Bar (Thanks Bill!), laid my 4x5 light table on the stage and a slide on the light. With an overlay for the light with stops for the slide, it wouldn't be a bad production set-up, much like what CH did, but with continuous light, rather than flash. Flash gets tricky with the HR Mode, at eight flashes per frame. The camera does allow setting a delay for flash recycling, but - too much stuff ... too much time.

Easy Way Moose