Re: [OM] Legacy lens for copy work, a little more explaination

Subject: Re: [OM] Legacy lens for copy work, a little more explaination
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 2015 15:21:18 -0800
Hither and Yon Moose responds:
<<So, lots of curiosity on my part. And the chance to satisfy it essentially for free.
The lens lists for $300, and is listed on Amazon, B&H and Adorama at $250. So if I don't
like or don't need it, I should be able to <<sell at a profit. (Assuming I ever get
around to selling off excess stuff.)

Thanks for the additional info. I did need a nifty 50  prior to my trip a year
and one half ago and the Oly fit the bill.  I did not anticipate quite the
difficulty achieving adequate subject- background separation using it.

You could always get the PanaLeica 25/1.4, but that's a lot of dosh, size and weight for what will probably be little help. One trick that I know of, but usually forget to try, especially for portraits, is to front focus a little. How much is the trick, to get just a little gentle softening of the subject, while sending the background further into outer fuzziness. Worth a try when there's time/opportunity for extra shots.

Look forward to your comments on the new Panny.

The GM-5 is nice but sometimes miss the pop-up flash of the GM-1 and larger LCD
but do like the availability of the EVF.

No perfect solutions, Mike

Indeed!

The GX7 has all those, pop-up flash, large LCD, that tilts, and good EVF - but
then, it's big, in that crowd. :-)

My GX7 has been neglected since the advent of a second E-M5 II. But I've been doing some rethinking. For casual shooting where I want the IBIS option, I've been using a Pen Mini or Lite, lately E-PL6. But to feel completely prepared, I often feel the need to carry extra bits, aux EVF and/or flash. Although the GX7 is a little bigger and heavier, the size/weight includes a better EVF and a pop-up flash. And it's less awkward than a Pen with aux EVF stuck on top, and doesn't require fussing with installation and removal. Two covers to remove, keep from losing, and reinstall for either flash or EVF.

And it has IBIS at least as good as the Lite Pens. So when I want to use a lens like the 45/1.8, it's far more useful in the dim than the GM1.

I was recently reminded at a weekend retreat that flash is sometimes the only option to get the shot. The pop-up on the GM1 did the trick.

Best Compromises Moose