Re: [OM] Oly DoF Tricks

Subject: Re: [OM] Oly DoF Tricks
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 2015 22:49:48 -0500
Pretty cool stuff.  I'll have to try it on the E-M1.

Chuck Norcutt

On 12/28/2015 8:10 PM, Moose wrote:
It seems to me that Oly is the leading innovator in the conventional
camera business lately.

1. Five way IBIS (and its improvement in the E-M5 II)
2. Super high resolution AND improved color AND no moire from a 16 MP
sensor
3. Composite Mode for low light. (Little understood, but a BIG thing for
long exposure shooting.)
4. Automated Focus bracket/stacking.

The sorry story of my first Oly Tough series camera seems to have ended
with it running away. Like a penny with bad juju (IQ), I suppose it may
come back to haunt me ...

The TG-4 is another story. Today's chapter is about it's mini
implementations of the Auto Focus Stacking trick recently added to the
E-M1 and Focus Bracketing added to both it and the E-M5 II in firmware
updates.

It does both Focus Stacking and Focus Bracketing, FS and FB here. They
are limited, only being available in Microscope Mode (a super macro
setting), which focuses in a range of 1 cm to 1 ft. FS is further
limited to 3200x2400, ~8 MP and JPEG. FS is full size, 15 MP, but still
JPEG only.

Curious about this stuff, I took a couple of casual FS shots of a micro
landscape in a pot outside our front door. Hand held, AF, AE, AISO, in
other words, something one could shoot anywhere, without planning or
special effort.

Simple comparison, no adjustment of any kind by me other than downsizing
for the web.
<http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/tech/TG-4_Focus/PC280034.htm>

This one came with overcooked highlights. I pulled them down, pretty
good retention in the JPEG, raised shadows just a tiny bit, so it wasn't
just a black hole, and tried out post downsizing deconvolution
sharpening.
<http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/tech/TG-4_Focus/PC280036.htm>

I think that's pretty amazing in a tiny, cheap, consumer camera!

When Carol saw the second one, she loved what it did in front, but would
like the back to remain soft. That brings me to Focus Bracketing, where
one may pick and choose that sort of thing. But that must wait for more
playing and a later post.

Depth of Moose