Re: [OM] Oly DoF Tricks - At Night!

Subject: Re: [OM] Oly DoF Tricks - At Night!
From: Don Holbrook <donholbrook@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 2015 23:49:28 +0000 (UTC)
Well, you have me convinced.  The Oly store has refurbs for $100 less....mine
is in the mail.

----- Original Message -----From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>To: Olympus Camera
Discussion <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>Sent: Tue, 29 Dec 2015 22:34:31 -0000
(UTC)Subject: Re: [OM] Oly DoF Tricks - At Night!

There's another very clever trick Oly's designer/engineers ave pulled. Perhaps
not as high level as the others, but ...

So you design a camera that can focus to 1 cm from the front of a slightly
recessed lens. You all know what that means - lighting problems. And you know
one classic solution, a ring light. But then, you've also designed in Focus
Stacking and Bracketing, and it's a camera that can go underwater. An add on
flash defeats the whole "tough" design gestalt. And waiting for flash recycling
through up to 30 shots (99 for FB) not only makes it all way too slow, but
renders the hand held ability of FS useless.

Sooo. They made the focus assist light a pretty bright LED and designed a
light, cheap, waterproof, light pipe, ring light, powered by the focus assist
light.

OK, it's not very powerful, but only intended for rather close subjects. How
does it work? Well, it drove the ISO up to 1600, on a 2/3" sensor, to get a
shutter speed that won't blur the individual shots. But the combination of
moderate image size, likely some NR and merging 30 shots, leave the result
surprisingly noise free.
<http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/tech/TG-4_Focus/PC290098.htm>

Taken in almost full darkness at 1:45 in the morning. I couldn't see the
subject until I half pressed the release, to turn on the 'flashlight' ring.

In the Dark Moose

-- What if the Hokey Pokey *IS* what it's all about?--