Re: [OM] FW: Computer Suggestions

Subject: Re: [OM] FW: Computer Suggestions
From: Mike Lazzari <watershed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 2 Feb 2016 10:36:38 -0800
Another possibility is the Asus T200. Same transformer series as the 100....But
with a larger screen and a 400 GB hard drive installed in the base as well as
the SSD behind the screen.
I have put a 64 GB micro SD card in the screen slot , and another 64 GB USB3
drive in the base. I use it largely for photo storage and swop the USD drive
for a 2 TB desktop drive as needed.
I will be taking it with me on a trip to China in the spring.
Only 2 dwnsides.....it runs Windoze 10 after I upgraded from 8 and it is
distinctly budget, but I did not have the funds available for a mac.
A Bluetooth mouse with a tiny transmitter in the other USB port makes the
machine much more user friendly.

OK a few comments based upon my use of the first generation T100:

-the T200 weighs well over twice as much as the T100. Weight penalty is partly
size but also HD in base. I opted for no HD in base since I carry a 2tb
portable anyway.

-specs say only 32gb in the tablet half! That's pretty tight and probably
necessitates the base being attached most of the time.. My T100 has 64 which is
fine for the OS. uSD in slot for data etc. so it works just fine as a tablet.

-with bluetooth onboard why is the transmitter necessary? (At least mine has BT
and all the specs say BT) I prefer a mouse for photo work and I went with BT to
free up a USB port.

-and speaking of USB...Looks like the T200 has added more USB ports :up.gif: I
have a USB3 on the deck and a miniUSB2 on the tablet. A choke point for
uploading photos and an adapter is needed for the mini port. Accessing the
photos on the USB3 Elements drive is perfectly fine ... after they are there.

-with the dearth of USB and RJ45 ports I have to carry adapters. No big deal.
T200 seems to address that.

-mine runs Faststone, GPS software and MS ICE just fine. It came with
non=rented MS Office (bonus!) which I need for work here at home. Don't need
more. Tried PS Elements but too slow. T200 is a little faster. Maybe??

-here at home I occasionally hook up to a TV for my volunteer work meetings. An
assortment of hdmi adapters is handy.

Mike