[OM] OT: Punxsutawney Phil vs. Reality

Subject: [OM] OT: Punxsutawney Phil vs. Reality
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 2 Feb 2016 11:44:26 -0700 (GMT-07:00)
     The early spring predicted by Punxsutawney Phil this morning may have to
be put on hold.  By this time next week just about everything east of the
Rockies will be in the midst of yet another deep freeze.  This is due to a very
deep convolution in the jet stream caused by abnormally warm sea water along
the Pacific coast.  We had this same scenario last winter.

     We had a storm system pass through the southwest yesterday, leaving us
with some unseasonably cold air.  When the front passed through we had at least
one severe thunderstorm warning in north Phoenix, and another thunderstorm that
passed through Mesa struck a palm tree, setting it on fire.  That storm system
is presently passing through Arkansas, Missouri, and Illinois with a pretty
healthy pressure gradient along the cold front.  This system is the leading
edge of the Alberta Express that will develop for next week.

     It's noon here and we're still in the upper 40's.

Chris

     - Hunter S. Thompson