Re: [OM] Apple secret sauce, was: Computer Suggestions

Subject: Re: [OM] Apple secret sauce, was: Computer Suggestions
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 2 Feb 2016 11:38:12 -0800
On 2/2/2016 11:01 AM, Chuck Norcutt wrote:
For some strange reason I hadn't even thought about download from the phone to the computer.

Not what I was talking about, nor what Tina needed. It is about using the iThingie INSTEAD of a computer as a way of BOTH viewing the days's images AND backing them up to an external drive.

If I have both phone and computer, I don't need the phone for anything image
related.

Very strange since that's the only thing I would ever attempt to do with the
phone.

Sure. And as Jim has pointed out, you don't need any special multi-cable set-up. Just plug the lightning cable in to the computer. I don't bother with that for pix taken with the phone. DropBox puts them in a folder on both computers automagically.

I tried it and it works fine. All it takes is a USB cable with one Type A male connector and one Type A female connector (for the Lightning/USB charging cord to plug in)... Ooops! I see that "plug" and "receptacle" are now the fashionable terms.

I was only using the phone as an experiment since it's the only Apple device that I have. Remember that this started as a discussion about whether an iPad Pro was a reasonable device for Tina to use as for reviewing digital images hot off the camera.

AND for creating back-ups on external media.

I think she found her answer and it wasn't Apple.

Cause iThingies don't do the jobs. I love my iPhone and iPad Mini, but their obstinate refusal to play with external mass storage devices is maddening.

Clarification Moose