Re: [OM] IMG: Nathan's PAW 5: cycling and drinking wine

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Nathan's PAW 5: cycling and drinking wine
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 3 Feb 2016 14:00:45 -0500
Florida is Florida and has some rather spectacular thunderstorms all over the state. But, having lived on both coasts I found the southeast coast to have novel behavior, I think because of the proximity of the Everglades and its water. From West Palm Beach down to the Keys the Everglades are only 5-15 miles inland. In the summer, as the sun rises it heats the land and the water of the Glades and the rising air draws air in from the ocean which results in a 20 minute rain storm, sometimes with a bit of thunder. In the later afternoon the situation reverses as the sun goes down and the ocean draws the air from the land and the Glades but now at higher temperature. The result is an afternoon rainstorm but this time with a lot more flash and boom.

I suppose the same think may happen in reverse order on the west coast down near Big Cypress (Naples area) but I haven't spent much time that far south on the west coast to know how it behaves.

Chuck Norcutt