Re: [OM] Antivirus and antimalware, was: Polaris Slingshot

Subject: Re: [OM] Antivirus and antimalware, was: Polaris Slingshot
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 3 Feb 2016 12:49:12 -0700 (GMT-07:00)
     I was using AVG until a couple of weeks ago.  After the last update, I had
no control over the updating, which was causing me problems on dialup.  On
their Facebook blog they stated that this was for the convenience of the users.
 Avast had earlier stated that they would no longer be supporting WinXP, but
they have reversed course on that because almost half the world is still using
it.  So, I'm back to using Avast and I have full manual control on the updating.

     Oddly, they don't seem to make any mention of operating systems on their
web page.  You just download and install.  Nice.

>Actually, what you posted on the Morgan is a link and it works.  I don't
>know what to tell you about antivirus since Avast is one of the highest
>rated.  I think you may be paying some sort of advertising penalty as a
>result of being free.  Here's a review or reviews from PC Mag.  Choose
>your own poison.  I'd try each of the top 3 rated products and choose
>whichever is the easiest to use or least bothersome.
><http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2388652,00.asp>

Chris

     - Hunter S. Thompson