Re: [OM] Mamiya Sekor 500 DTL

Subject: Re: [OM] Mamiya Sekor 500 DTL
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 13 Feb 2016 12:47:35 -0800
On 2/13/2016 11:55 AM, Chuck Norcutt wrote:
... But there is some sage advice there that you should not ignore. When removing screws he doesn't pay much attention to the driver used for slotted screws but does caution to use JIS drivers on the cross-point screws. JIS stands for Japanese Industrial Standards. JIS cross-point screws look like Philips screws but they are not. If you use a Philips driver you may damage them.
<http://www.vesseltools.com/hand-tools/screwdrivers/jis-japanese-industrial-standard/view-all-products.html>

This is about the cheapest way to get set up
<http://www.ebay.com/itm/JIS-Type-S-Driver-Set-5Pc-Pollicis-/401070166898?hash=item5d61a51372:g:HSgAAOSwx-9WvLlU>
This is what I own. A bit more expensive but more convenient
<http://www.ebay.com/itm/JIS-Type-S-Driver-Set-4Pc-Pollicis-/401070166710?hash=item5d61a512b6:g:ZgEAAOSwzgRWvLmK>
Good tools and Micro-Tools is a good seller.

I have a set of these. They are very nice, but very long, and won't fit in my little desktop chest. I still mostly use these. <http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/tech/Misc/Xpoint.htm>

I have five small sets and one larger one of various combinations of points, cross-point (their name for JIS), flat blade, Torx, small nut drivers and tiny hex. Some from Radio Shack many years ago. I've seen them with various brands on them. The only ones that have been less than ideal have been some flat blades, where the grinding wheel was small diameter and left the blade slightly thicker at the tip.

I used these for many years before "treating" myself to a set of Moodys. But I still use the generic ones, and the big reason is torque. They have a hole in the shaft and a small post, as seen in the link above. A lot of screws on old cameras and lenses are very tight, whether actually driven that way or subtle chemical reaction over the years. Generally no residue to say some kind of thread lock was used, but who knows.

In any case, these drivers allow one to lean hard on the butt of the driver and use the post to apply more torque with more control than the much fancier Moodys. The heads fit the JIS screw heads in Asian camera gear very well, and don't "torque out" when used this way.

If I had a shop, I'd have the Moodys out to impress the customers, and use the
others. :-)

Or maybe drill holes in the Moody shafts?

Chrome Shafted Moose