Re: [OM] Mamiya Sekor 500 DTL

Subject: Re: [OM] Mamiya Sekor 500 DTL
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 13 Feb 2016 19:57:50 -0500
If you send him the parts list and the links to the 2 YouTube videos showing removal of the top and bottom plates maybe John will fix it for you. Removing the bottom plate is straight forward and the top plate is pretty easy but does have a thing or two that you must know about ... like alignment of the pin under the ASA/shutter speed dial for both disassembly and reassembly.

The shutter clock work probably just needs cleaning with alcohol or some other solvent. Watch the video on shutter and removing the bottom plate. Note how the wind crank needs to be pushed in to activate the meter and how that causes a sliding plate to contact the battery. That may give you a clue on what's going on with the meter when you rotate the camera. Are you causing the problem by pushing/pulling on the wind lever (turning the meter on and off) when you rotate the camera?

Note that the manual INSISTS on using a silver oxide battery and not alkaline. Oly mentions it but doesn't insist like it should. Alkaline for the Mamiya and OMs leads to very short battery life and inaccurate readings as the voltage drops on the battery. The characteristic of mercury and silver oxide batteries is that voltage remains very stable even as the battery runs down. These batteries were specified for these cameras since the cameras do not have voltage regulators.

Chuck Norcutt