Re: [OM] See? I am NOT a loser!!!!

Subject: Re: [OM] See? I am NOT a loser!!!!
From: Paul Braun <pbraun42@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 14 Feb 2016 22:43:31 -0600
On 2/14/16 19:15 : , Peter Klein wrote:
Bravo, Paul! Go get 'em. There was never anything wrong with you. We simply live in a time of systemic disruption where lots of good people are being let loose, and lots of companies are focused on hiring young people who will work for lousy pay and no benefits. Experience is not always a plus, in fact, in the face of current trends, it is a minus. Go figure.

Sadly, you're right. They want someone who's 23 and willing to work for 23-year-old money, but with my years of experience. It's been a long, frustrating journey.

I feel really bad for my former associates who are now left to do the same amount of work we had always been doing, but with half the people. My own partner is now on call 24/7/365 with no breaks. Even if she takes PTO, she's really still on call. And since she was the clinical half of the partnership and I was the technical one who tended to hot-rod the workstations to improve radiologist/cardiologist productivity, and she's completely non-technical, she said she's been taking my name in vain a lot in recent months as normal issues develop and I was the only guy who built and supported those boxes. The docs are irritated as well, since they know I was the only guy who could make their workstations run...

When our hospital, which for 70-some years had been a county hospital, realized they needed a partner to build a modern building, they shoppped around. The one organization they did NOT want to work with was the one from Tennessee. Our administration chose a different group of hospitals to join with. They did not have their own IT department, however, and outsourced everything to Perot Associates (Uncle Ross's IT firm). So we all started to fill out our paperwork to transition to working for Perot instead of the hospital.

Before we could actually turn it in and get it processed, we got the news that the Tennessee firm (I'm avoiding mentioning the 3-letter abbreviation because I signed some sort of paper that said I promise not to trash-talk them in public, in exchange for them not trash-talking me in public... errrr.....) had just purchased our new owners, and by default, we were part of the deal.

Here's the main difference. Our original new overlords were a group of hospitals, run by hospital people. Our new new overlords are a business management firm that happens to own hospitals. Actual quality of patient care is far down the priority list behind pure profitability and getting the CEO on the cover of as many financial magazines as possible as "Most profitable CEO of the Year" nonsense.

That is why, in the middle of a major upgrade and change in hosting platforms for our system's brand-new electronic medical record, the word came down from On High to eliminate half of our department regardless of whether or not we were critical to proper functionality. In fact, they fired 80 non-nursing staff that day. Or at least that's what they told the newspapers. Except that they also fired about a dozen clinical technicians in cardiology, radiology, and respiratory. Spin-control press release two days later said, "Well, when we said we didn't fire any patient-care staff, what we REALLY meant was that we didn't fire any bedside nurses."

The new overlords were used to buying small community hospitals without any real IT staff. From Day One, they refused to understand how big our group was, and couldn't come to terms that we had a fully-qualified IT staff that had built and maintained all of our systems for at least 20 years. That struggle continues to this day. They still treat the remaining staff like children who don't really know what they're doing, so they pat them on the head and say, "There, there. I know this big scary computing stuff is hard. We'll handle it for you" and then proceed to make changes that do not fit in with our (and by that, I mean the local hospital) existing applications and procedures.
When I worked for an academic institution, which shall go unnamed, the problem wasn't the PhDs with egos. Although a significant subgroup of them had trouble changing their passwords, and all of that group were Mac users. :-) Our problem was the business prof they put in charge of the IT department, who had graduated from the Niccolo Machiavelli School of Management.

It seems that IT is very departmentalized at UC. There are several different departments in our building, and we are responsible only for our specific department. My new boss is an IT guy, and seems to have a solid grasp on how things work.
My last employer before retiring (and my longest) was a "think tank" company that had many public health researchers. Nicest bunch of people I've ever worked with.

It's always a plus. My teammates at the former employer were great - most of us had worked together for 10 years and had pulled together through the tough parts in order to minimize the pain to our end users.

--

Paul Braun WD9GCO
Certified Music Junkie