Re: [OM] IMG: Round Barn Revisited

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Round Barn Revisited
From: Jim Nichols <jhnichols@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2016 13:38:09 -0600
That's an interesting barn, Mike. I gather it was primarily winter cover, so the horse work could go on year-round. My wife's grandfather broke horses, but he was a little further east, in Idaho and the Dakotas.

The Franklin County Tennessee Historical Page says our barns were built by German-Swiss farmers who settled in the region. The last time I was through there, the barns were gone, but there was a German bakery in the area, which had products that are hard to find. When we first came here in the 1950s, there was a German bakery up on the mountain that made Salt Rising Bread. I ate it most mornings at breakfast, but it can no longer be found. As the family members aged, the bakery disappeared.

Jim Nichols
Tullahoma, TN USA