Re: [OM] (no subject)

Subject: Re: [OM] (no subject)
From: Scott Gomez <sgomez.baja@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2016 19:07:41 +0000
One of my first flights ever was via NYANG C-97 to Wright-Patterson field
in Ohio to go to the Air Force Museum, somewhere around 1969. It was a
Civil Air Patrol trip. Departed from the ANG base in the town of Glenville,
just outside Schenectady. Is this the same place into which you flew?

On Thu, Feb 18, 2016 at 6:19 AM Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

>      Yes, I have one.  Back in 1977 I was in the process of leaving active
> duty.  I had been accepted for graduate school at Penn State and had an
> application pending to fly EC-130's for the Pennsylvania ANG (PANG).  I
> flew a C-130H up to Schenectady, New York to deliver a casket with the
> remains of a poor fellow who had died in a HALO jump, along with the escort
> to take it to Long Island.  While there I got to see the New York ANG's
> C-130D's, the ski-equipped versions that served the DEW line in Canada and
> Greenland.  I mentioned that I was leaving active duty to attend graduate
> school and fly with PANG.  They offered me a position right there.
>
>      I had plenty of time to think it over, but graduate school was the
> deciding factor.  Looking back, if I had chosen to take the NYANG I could
> have flown the largest airplane on skis, plus go to Antarctica once in a
> while after the Navy retired their fleet and turned the operation over to
> the NYANG.  That would have been the most fun you could have with your
> clothes on.
>

> >"I guess things might have turned out differently for me if I had held on
> >to the Summer crush on the cute little girl from Ottumwa in 1946. :-)"
> >
> >There are a dozen photos pinned on the wall above my computer monitor.
> One
> >is a color shot of my thesis advisor with a certain 22-year-old entomology
> >graduate student, she standing akimbo, at the Itasca Biology Station back
> >in 1964.  What if, what if, indeed!  What a summer!  Anyone else with some
> >"what ifs" in their life?
> >

> Chris
>
> When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro
>      - Hunter S. Thompson
> --
>
> --
---