Re: [OM] OM Peso

Subject: Re: [OM] OM Peso
From: bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Sat, 20 Feb 2016 01:38:54 +1300

Moose wrote

> Moose wrote One of our favorite sections of a
favorite road. <http://zone-10.com/tope2/main.php?g2_itemId=19561 [1]
[1]> We went out wandering yesterday in West Marin and Sonoma Cos. ...
Wanderin' Moose
............................................................. Images
with great potential.

I'd like to think I got at least part way
there.

> Now your challenge is to figure out the lighting and
atmospheric conditions which will yield totally outstanding shots :-)
And act on them. !!

Weellll ... I thought I had done that.

We had been
along those roads five days before, but without time in hand to stop and
mess about with photography. I'd
originally meant to leave earlier, but
something came up at home that delayed us and we were meeting friends
for dinner
at a place and time certain. OTOH, had we passed through
earlier, I might not have seen the potential of later light.

This trip
was specifically for photography. I chose a day with similar weather,
only five days later, and hit the key
spots at the same times of day.
The light was not quite as intense for some subjects as before, so I
skipped a couple
for now, but pretty similar. OTOH, the same slightly
greater cloud cover that softened some light contributed much more

interesting clouds for the panorama I just posted and some other shots
I haven't (yet?) posted.

I have a hard time envisioning better straight
shots of either, to my taste. I could see trying to catch them as sun

just starts warming and breaking up fog. Maybe possible, but I'm not
sure, nor sure when.

Maybe I just need better subjects? I don't see
myself getting better versions anytime soon. To do so, I would have to

visit many times. It's only maybe an hour to the 'tunnel', maybe 30
min. more to the tree - if one drives directly,
without a lot of stops.
But it passes over a bridge that has appalling afternoon commute traffic
coming back. The only
sensible solution is to stay across the Bay for
dinner, as we did Tuesday. So it really takes most of a day for each

visit. And then ... there are many more highly photogenic places and
things close by, both to these images and to us, to
be considered,
too.

The other alternative is to abandon planning and rely on sheer
luck. :-)

<http://galleries.moosemystic.net/MooseFoto/index.php?gallery=California/Point_Reyes/South&image=_MG_2613cria.jpg
[2]>

I can't imagine I could ever get this shot through planning.
Well, maybe by camping there for days at a time every
January, although
many would just be rainy.. The particular confluence of sun angle, light
clouds and a lot of moisture
in the air, not quite fog, but enough to
effect the light made the magic for only a few minutes that day as we
passed
by. by the time I turned around, got out the tripod and set up,
I may have missed the very best light, and the magic was
all gone as I
packed up a handful of minutes later.

Thanks for looking and
commenting!

Idealistic Moose
That was
written partly tongue in cheek. I think the avenue shot would be
difficult to improve on; it's really nice.
But the hard frontal
lighting of the well-found subject of the rounded tree against a round
hill does it less than justice, IMO.
So; you used a tripod for them, not
relying on 5-axis IS?

If I were to find such a unique and photogenic
composition, I'd return a time or two.

Picky Brian

Links:
------