[OM] StrandMoose--on topic

Subject: [OM] StrandMoose--on topic
From: Mike Gordon via olympus <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 20 Feb 2016 22:25:57 -0500
Cc: usher99@xxxxxxx
During a Moose and Carol visit this Fall we had a chance to see the
Strandbeests at Peabody Essex Museum, but just missed them during an outing on
Crane beach.  In Dutch, I believe the name means beach critters.
They have "sensory organs" and with simple but elegant engineering move away
from deep sand or water---valve is flipped if a tube is immersed in water.
Energy is provided by sails or compressed air.  The undulating mechanisms
recharge the supply of compressed air.

http://pem.org/sites/strandbeest/about_strandbeest/

http://www.strandbeest.com/

The Strandbeest that are no longer viable are called "fossils" by the creator,
Theo Jansen.  They can be reanimated   by those with special powers to form a
hybrid symbiotic creature.  A highly esteemed list personage has such powers
as depicted in the short video below.  This is on topic as the image of the
StrandMoose surveying the beach of its origin was taken with OM gear. (OM4T,
100 Ektar)

http://www.olyendomike.com/Friends/Moose-2015/i-STmDpk9/A

Mike