Re: [OM] IMG: Family Kodachromes, 1950-53

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Family Kodachromes, 1950-53
From: "Wayne Harridge" <wayne.harridge@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2016 11:12:51 +1100
Great collection Peter !

...Wayne

-----Original Message-----
From: olympus
[mailto:olympus-bounces+wayne.harridge=structuregraphs.com@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
] On Behalf Of Peter Klein
Sent: Monday, 22 February 2016 7:56 AM
To: lug <lug@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>; olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx;
leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [OM] IMG: Family Kodachromes, 1950-53

I've posted 20 "new" pictures--recently copied slides from my late mother's
collection.  These are pictures of my parents, my mother's family and their
friends, c. 1950-53, before I came on the scene. Start here, and click on
the left side of the picture for the "previous" 19 pictures.
<https://www.flickr.com/photos/24844563@N04/24864974880/in/dateposted-public
/>

My Mom got her camera in 1949. She shot one roll of Plus-X, then started
using Kodachrome and never looked back.  She shot a Bolsey B2 rangerfinder
with a 44mm f/3.2 Wollensak Anastigmat lens and leaf shutter.  I still have
it.  Remember that pre-1961, Kodachrome film was ASA 10.  Except in bright
sunlight, fairly slow exposure times had to be used.  I had to go through
lots of blurred slides to find a few reasonably sharp ones show here.

I just got a Nikon ES-1 slide copier attachment for my camera.  I connected
it to my Olympus E-M5 via a couple of step-up rings, a 28/2.8 Olympus OM
manual focus lens from the 80s, a rickety 13mm extension tube and a strip of
masking tape to fasten the extension tube to the lens and neutralize said
ricketiness.  Theoretically, the 28mm OM lens shouldn't be good enough to
act as a macro lens, but in practice, it appears to be. It doesn't quite
resolve the film grain, but the pictures are quite good enough for screen
viewing. And it's *so* much quicker and easier than using a film scanner.  I
may spring for a real micro 4/3 macro lens, or I may not.  These look pretty
darn good to me.

Enjoy!
--Peter