New, to me, bird ID

Subject: New, to me, bird ID
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2016 14:13:22 -0800
When I went out to sit and read in the yard yesterday, I remembered my personal
dictum - always a camera, and grabbed one.

Soon, I was watching a little bird moving around in the Jasmine on our front wall. The way it moved and the eyebrow reminded me of nuthatches. But it wasn't the local red-breasted variety, and it's voice was different. I know I've seen White breasted Nuthatches in the East, but couldn't remember much about them.

100 mm wasn't very long for this, but I caught it well enough to be recognizable, and figured I'd check later. Back in the house later, I remembered the Cornell Ornithology Lab beta bird ID page. <http://merlin.allaboutbirds.org/photo-id>

My image was pretty poor, small bird with shadows across it in a big frame, but I cleaned it up fairly decently and I saved a 100% crop to drag onto the bird ID site. <http://zone-10.com/tope2/main.php?g2_itemId=19576>

Voila! It's a Bewick's Wren. I've not noticed one here before, but they are apparently common in Calif. The way it was nosing around, I wonder if it was looking for a nesting site. Or maybe just looking for bugs to eat. :-)

New Friend Moose