Re: [OM] New, to me, bird ID

Subject: Re: [OM] New, to me, bird ID
From: Mike Gordon via olympus <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2016 19:19:23 -0500
Cc: usher99@xxxxxxx
Great bird site--thanks for posting that.  The 100% crop speaks well for the
GM-5 with what I presume
is your new compact 35-100/f4-5.6 at 100mm.  Speaks well for the lens as well
of course.

Did you try the flash that comes with the EM5II on the GM5?  (not the best
question for Dr. No Flash)
I don't think it mounts that well unless the foot is modified slightly but have
read it  does works   with TTL metering well and allows for bounce and is more
powerful than
the included flash.   Panny and Oly must use the same  double preflash
protocol.  I was very unpleasantly surprised how difficult is was to use the
Panny foot on my Metz flash in auto mode.  Unlike Canyon requires another full
1 to 1.5 stops more negative FEC to avoid over doing it and it won't let one
dial in that much if the flash thinks
can't quench in time if   using direct flash with no modifiers or
bounce--almost never do that.  Too smart for its own durn good.
Standard foot is OK as it doesn't know about anything but takes too long to set
up.  Fortunately I got the foot on sale for about 15 bucks but still.
The flash with Canyon foot  is super and am disappointed.  Very puzzling.
Doesn't balance well of course  with the full size flash and has all the
hallmarks of the tail wagging the dog.

Mike