[OM] Fwd: Sony gets "serious"

Subject: [OM] Fwd: Sony gets "serious"
From: Mike Gordon via olympus <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2016 19:43:08 -0500
Cc: usher99@xxxxxxx
Sony seems to have ratcheted their game up a full notch with the G- master
series lenses.  Am especially curious about the 24-70 as none of the previous
nl range zooms seemed "worthy"
of the sensor.  Have examined  some full images and crops using the 28-70 and
24-70 compared to the C/y 35-70 and the rendering of the old MF c/y at infinity
was typically  as good or better.
Interesting that Sony in the GM series has been able to model the bokeh into
the design pre-prototype.  I have never heard of that being accomplished
before.  They also fixed the onion  bokeh issue common in the past
with aspheric elements as have other manufacturers.

http://www.dpreview.com/products/sony/lenses/sony_fe_24-70_2p8_gm/specifications

http://www.sony.com/electronics/camera-lenses/sel2470gm

OK,  some would call  it YUGE with 82mm front element.
I do worry about whether the QA is up to snuff given the substantial
variability in many of the Sony lenses.  Seems less so in the Zony or Zeiss but
still some variability of course.
See below.  Some on FM had to try 4 or 5 times to get a 35mm with even
corners--some are just waaaaaay off for those picky about this issue at all--no
true pixel peeping required.

https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2015/10/sony-e-mount-lens-sharpness-bench-tests
http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2016/02/optical-quality-assurance

Intrigued,, Mike