Re: [OM] IMG: Family Kodachromes, 1950-53

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Family Kodachromes, 1950-53
From: Peter Klein <pklein@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2016 22:40:02 -0800
Thanks for all the thoughts, Moose. After getting all this set up, I read Ctein's article on TOP. It was discouraging, but I went ahead and did it anyway. It worked, so no arguing with success. Oh, I didn't mention that we are in the middle of remodeling my den. So the scanners--both my Epson V370 flatbed and the Canon FS-4000 are in boxes, piled up with all my other stuff in the kitchen.

Ctein is right about one thing, spotting is a pain. I promised myself that I would just clean up the faces, but I can't help myself, and I spot more. IIRC, using VueScan's IR dust removal on low intensity worked decently on Kodachrome last time I scanned slides. The problem is that by the time you get done with one pass for normal exposure, maybe another for underexposed areas, plus another for the IR dustbuster, it can take forever. Scanning at less then full resolution helps, since (as we've both seen) there isn't more detail to be had, anyway.

So it's a case of "pick your poison." I'll have to try the FS-4000 again once my den is put back together again. Right now, I just have a gazillion boxes of slides sitting there waiting to be digitized, and a couple of eighty-something aunties who are just loving reliving their teenage years through the images. Most of them haven't been seen in 60 years. Thank you, Mannes and Godowsky for making the stuff last.

After my first post below, I read this: <http://www.scantips.com/es-1.html>
Which has a link to these:
<http://www.ebay.com/sch/items/?_nkw=52mm+diameter+extension+tube&_sacat=625&_fromfsb=&_trksid=m270.l1313&_odkw=52mm+diameter+extension+tube&_osacat=0>
I calculated that two of these 21mm tubes screwed together should be long enough to copy the slides with my 50/3.5 OM Zuiko macro. So I've ordered them. The lens might be a bit more even across the field, and easier to focus than the 28/2.8. A couple of tubes from Hong Kong are not a wallet-buster like a new $400 micro 4/3 macro lens.

--Peter

> Also Sprach Moosathustra:
>> On 2/22/2016 6:38 PM, Peter Klein wrote:

> What great fun, to get those old family snaps digitized! I had fun spinning
through them.