Re: [OM] New, to me, bird ID

Subject: Re: [OM] New, to me, bird ID
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2016 22:46:47 -0800
Great bird site--thanks for posting that.

Oh good. I posted a link before, but didn't get the impression it "got through"
to anybody.

The 100% crop speaks well for the GM-5 with what I presume
is your new compact 35-100/f4-5.6 at 100mm.  Speaks well for the lens as well
of course.

I've been pretty happy with the 35-100. I've got the occasional long end shot that seemed less sharp than I would expect, but the vast majority of images have been great. And I think I love the GM5. ;-) The EVF, crummyish though it is, and the rear wheel really do make up for the smaller LCD image and almost for the loss of built-in flash. I've really enjoyed carrying it around with 35-100 on it. In many ways, that's closer to my natural FL range than the 12-32. I'd never have caught the wren with that lens and no EVF.

And that horse image I recently posted? 70 mm eq. wasn't wide enough, so I did a two shots and let PS stitch 'em together. WAY quicker and easier than changing lenses, esp. stopped in the lane of a shoulder less road in a "T" intersection. Nobody would ever guess. It's a new world of photographic capabilities, for those who choose to take advantage.*

Did you try the flash that comes with the EM5II on the GM5?  (not the best
question for Dr. No Flash)

I'm pretty sure I have one of those in the lenses and accessories bag, but I've certainly never used it, on an E-M5 II or anything else. Did I use the Mark I flash? Maybe, to see if it worked? I think I may have used one of the similar/same flashes that come with Pens once? Yes! In a cave. Flash is good in unlit caves. :-) I've also used an LED flashlight in caves. I think I'd really like to take along my multi LED light next time. It fits in a flash shoe, but I think hand holding to control shadows would be useful.

[skip a bunch of gobbledgook (to Dr. No-Flash) about flashes, and feet, and
compatibility].

I'm just not the guy to ask. I really don't know what you are talking about above, and can't see why I would want to learn. [In old geezer voice] "Can't teach an old photog new tricks." Other than in unlit caves, where I know "going in" that it's going to be dark, I just don't think flash. In lit caves, the lighting is generally more artistic than I could do with flash, anyway.

If I happen to have GM1 or GX7 with me, I'll use the built-in flash when I end up in the dark. But I know so little about them that anything other than straight flash shots of people in social situations, I generally screw it up. I've tried a few times to get the inside of Redwood or Giant Sequoias, with poor results.

There's a long established way of thinking that sees the camera as the central, essential thing, and lenses, flashes and so on as accessories dependent on "The Camera". I think this mind set gets in the way of creatively using our tools to best advantage.* As you know, I've already gone past that by carrying two bodies, one for each primary lens. The lens is really the primary tool, with the body supporting it and capturing what it "sees".

But I've gone a bit beyond that, too. Want macro with amazing DoF and/or in the dark? Don't add macro lens, ring flash, tripod and focusing rail to the camera kit, take along a tiny camera that does all that in itself. It's tiny, weighs a few ounces and fits in a pocket or corner of the bag. Yeah, it's JPEG only, but they are large, good quality JPEGs. AND, AND, the results will be better than if I carry all that other gear along. Why?, 'Cause I'll actually get the shot!

Think I may need a bit of flash? Add the GM1 to whatever else I was bringing. It's no bigger with 12-32 than my serious flash unit, and I can just pull it out, release the flash, and shoot. This approach only works for someone who doesn't use flash as a primary tool, shooting large areas, events, and so on - but that's me! And yes, last time a friend was graduating up on a far away stage, I dragged out the big gun and flashed away, successfully. Maybe that'll happen again, some year or other. :-)

Then again, at my granddaughter's last performance with the SF Girl's Chorus, photography was not allowed, so flash would have given me away. A few discreet shots with 75/1.8 recorded the event.

Dr. No Flash

* Thinking outside of "The Box".