Re: [OM] IMG: Family Kodachromes, 1950-53

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Family Kodachromes, 1950-53
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2016 01:58:16 -0800
On 2/23/2016 10:40 PM, Peter Klein wrote:

Ctein is right about one thing, spotting is a pain. I promised myself that I would just clean up the faces, but I can't help myself, and I spot more. IIRC, using VueScan's IR dust removal on low intensity worked decently on Kodachrome last time I scanned slides. The problem is that by the time you get done with one pass for normal exposure, maybe another for underexposed areas, plus another for the IR dustbuster, it can take forever. Scanning at less then full resolution helps, since (as we've both seen) there isn't more detail to be had, anyway.

If you are sitting there waiting for it to scan, sure. I don't do that. I scan to 64 bit RAW (16 each for RGBI), the Raw output of the scanner to an intermediate TIFF file. None of the adjustment settings are applied. I just notice or go by to check once in a while when a set is done, then start another one. So it may take hours, I don't care, 'cause I'm not babysitting it.

THEN, I set VueScan to "scan" from those files. Preview them all at once. Then, especially if they, or most of them, are going to need the same settings, set everything, cropping, NR, Color Tab settings on the first one. All the rest will default to the same settings, so I can run up through them, making any individual adjustments. Each 'scan' takes seconds, and I can see the results immediately. For the KRs that I've scanned, all the shadow and highlight detail that's actually there has been recoverable through settings on the Color Tab.

All the tedious physical scanning takes place almost without my involvement.

So it's a case of "pick your poison."

The above is mine. :-)

Pick 'Em Moose