Re: [OM] Fwd: Sony gets "serious"

Subject: Re: [OM] Fwd: Sony gets "serious"
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2016 12:56:24 -0800
Sony seems to have ratcheted their game up a full notch with the G- master
series lenses.

If size and weight are the 'name of the game', they have certainly 'upped' theirs. Longer and heavier than the Canon and Sigma f2.8s. And a monster compared to your 24-105.

Am especially curious about the 24-70 as none of the previous nl range zooms seemed
"worthy"
of the sensor.  Have examined  some full images and crops using the 28-70 and
24-70 compared to the C/y 35-70 and the rendering of the old MF c/y at infinity
was typically  as good or better.
Interesting that Sony in the GM series has been able to model the bokeh into
the design pre-prototype.

I don't believe this is new to Sony, but can't recall where I saw another maker talking about it. Their models should certainly know the level of under or over corrected spherical at any given focal plane and OOF object distances.

I have never heard of that being accomplished before.  They also fixed the
onion  bokeh issue common in the past
with aspheric elements as have other manufacturers.

It was a matter of imperfect polishing (or none?) of the molds, leaving subtle lines from the cutting. Once recognized as a practical problem, relatively easy to fix.

Intrigued,, Mike

Sure you aren't just looking for trouble? ;-)

I wish someone competent at the boring little details of design and manufacture would get serious about FF mirrorless. But then maybe that would be too boring? Sony makes it risky and exciting, Wheeeee!

I guess I'm weird in wanting something that doesn't get in the way of making
the images I want to make?

While I'm at it, I'd like a simple mirrorless version of the old 5D.

Weird Al Moose