Re: [OM] New Panny lens

Subject: Re: [OM] New Panny lens
From: Frank <wijsmuller@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2016 23:50:01 +0100

> Different strokes. I'm up over 11,000 shots with my 12-50, and still happy
> with it. Some use with the HR feature of the E-M5 II have shown that it out
> resolves the 16 MP sensors of current OM-Ds and Pens and will still do so
> with 20 and almost certainly 24 MP sensors.

​That probably will be enough for the next ten years... ;-).​

> The 12-40/2.8 looks darn fine, and I'd like the C-U/macro without a
> separate mode, but I have a hard time imagining myself being happy with
> twice the weight and less reach. And as to speed, my LR catalog says 1,393
> of those 11,164 shots, 12% were at f5.9 or faster. I'm seldom looking for
> faster, in practice.

​I had a look in my LR catalog, interesting. I couldn't find how to select
on used aperture though? ​

But I do vote for the fixed ultrawide as well. 8-9mm would be OK for me,
>> and would make me sell my 9-18mm.
>>

> My fear is that they would make a 9/2.8, and it would be no smaller or
> lighter than the 9-18.

​I wouldn't care as long as it is sharp in the corners. I love the 9-18mm
(5K from 13K shots with the E-M5, I just learned (thanks!)), but it is not
really sharp at 9mm in the corners. ​

C'mon, small, light 7/4.0!!!

> Actually, I'm afraid the sensor pack might be so thick a 7 prime would
> have to be retrofocus design, and thus gain size, weight and cost.
>
> Hmm.. I understood focal length is measured from the optical center of the
lens? My guess is that actually all m43 lenses are more or less retrofocal?
Without the sensor stack a 7mm would still be necessary kept some distance
from the sensor because of the shutter, and the 'pixel buckets' forcing
retrofocal design to prevent to steep angled light rays to the borders of
the sensor?