Re: [OM] New Panny lens

Subject: Re: [OM] New Panny lens
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2016 15:59:49 -0800
Moose writes:

* Panny delivered a small first batch, then stopped filling orders. No indication
when, or if, then will deliver any more. B&H cancelled pre-orders; They and
Adorama have removed it from their sites. I wonder what that's all about.

(Panny 25/1.7)

Oh yea, I remember now--super deal at 99 bucks in Dec as instant rebate.  Panny
would not honor that after some orders, so B&H had to pull it.

B&H claimed that Panny would not fill orders already made and accepted. That both they and Adorama have actually removed the lens from their sites would seem to say that it is no longer/not currently available from Panny. The listings on Amazon all seem to be from smaller e-tailers, perhaps still with some of their original shipments in stock? They wouldn't have sold rapidly, with so many potential buyers waiting on their $99 orders.

Maybe Panny really screwed the pooch in some way, and will wait for all the dust to settle before starting to deliver them again?

  I think still available on Amazon for about 250---same as Oly equivalent.

It's not particularly attractive at $250. Oly is always selling theirs for $300 in their endlessly repetitive sales. The Oly is smaller, a known quantity and is more attractive looking.

I don' t know how they compare IQ wise, but I bet close.

There are several reviews out there. Hard to directly compare with the Oly, though. Robin Wong's fairly through comparison of the Oly 25/1.8 and the PanaLeica 25/1.4 makes the Oly look awfully good. Based on that review, with his extensive careful comparison images, I'd choose the Oly, even if $$ were the same. And would Panny sell a 25/1.7 that outperformed their premium offering? (Or is THAT what happened to it?)

Close focus is an interesting question. The specs are 25/1.4 = 0.11x, 25/1.7 = 0.14x, 25/1.7 = 0.12x. Yet in Robin's review, the Oly C-U images are about 1/3 larger.

Doesn't matter to me anymore, anyway.

People were very upset with B&H but how could they sell at it such a loss if
Panny would not make good on the rebate?

I assume Panny had offered B&H a special deal, but the order page didn't say anything about a rebate at the consumer end. It was just a straight special low price for one day. Maybe B&H sold WAY more than Panny had anticipated?

Still intrigued by the Nocticron but holding off.

Ya gotta really want that little extra speed; the $ and almost 4x weight trade-off is a big one. You've seen my 45/1.8 M.Zuiko, and some portrait results. I can't imagine how the Nocticron would /could be better. Super sharp isn't usually a good thing for portraits, anyway.

Already have the Oly, Mike

Yup, $198 refurb. Clean as a whistle, works. :-)

Lensatic Moose