[OM] Nathan's PAD 23/3/2016: remembering Brussels

Subject: [OM] Nathan's PAD 23/3/2016: remembering Brussels
From: Brian Gray via olympus <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2016 15:52:02 +0000
Cc: Brian Gray <bsg017@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
   I am sure that there are many other readers of this list like me who
   have been sufficiently frequent visitors to Brussels, on business and
   pleasure, to feel for those involved in this week's  tragic events as
   referred to by Nathan.  One memory which is relevant to the changes
   wrought as a reaction to terrorism is of the occasion when I used a
   taxi to get from the old city terminal beside Gare Central to
   Zaventem.  I was dropped off at the airport, checked in, and on the
   plane in less than 10 minutes - they shut the doors as I arrived on
   board after running through the terminal. This all happened less than
   an hour from climbing into the taxi. I wonder if people will ever feel
   sufficiently secure again to return to such free and easy practices -
   how many on the list remember when British Airways ran a shuttle
   between Manchester and London, and you did not need a ticket or any
   checks before boarding?
   Brian Gray