Re: [OM] OT: Win7 Problem

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: Win7 Problem
From: Jim Nichols <jhnichols@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2016 10:27:06 -0500
Sounds like progress.  You seem to have your own digital Easter egg hunt.

Jim Nichols
Tullahoma, TN USA

On 3/26/2016 10:18 AM, Chris Trask wrote:
      Well, the instructions provided by Microsoft were more than just a bit
off.  I followed them to the letter, but when I went into the CMD window I
first had to recall a UNIX/DOS command (CHDIR C:\) to get into the C:\ root
directory.  Then I typed in the instructed address, only to be greeted with
an error message telling me that I had to be an administrator using a
command console.  Huh?

      Thinking that the user account I was using was faulty due to being set
up prior to the fix of a couple of days ago, I set up a new administrator
account, but the same thing happened.  I even tried running it directly in
the C:\Windows\syste32 folder, which was even worse.  GRRRR!!

      So, being a bit savy with hacking problems, I went into the Control
Panel and selected Administrator Tools.  At the bottom of the list was the
item "Windows PowerShell Modules".  Sure!  Why not try that one?   Much like
Chekov and Sulu guessing at the engine controls of a Klingon Bird of Prey.

      Bingo!  I'm was now in a command console.  So I typed in the prescribed
command.  It's presently running, but it will be another 10-15 minutes
before it's done.

      If I ever see that self-proclaimed "computer expert" again who created
this crippled Win7 OS I'll strangle him with my bare hands.

      Yes, that looks pretty useful.  I copied the instructions and I'll
give it a
try later today.

      The circumstances here dictate that this is NOT a hardware problem as
the
machine works fine in regular Win7, regular WinXP, or WinXP safe mode and
no errors
were found with the control panel memory test.  Instead it's something to
do with
starting the machine up in anything other than normal Win7, normal WinXP,
or WinXP
safe mode.  So, it's some sort of corrupted DLL or other system file when
starting
Win7 in any of the F8 options other than regular Win7.

Thanks for that link, Jez.  That's a utility that I've long thought must
certainly exist but have never had that verified.  I decided to use it
to check my own system which turns out to be fine.

ps:  Can anyone enlighten me as to why a reported memory parity error
could be due to a corrupted DLL?  Makes no sense to me.

Chris

      - Hunter S. Thompson