Re: [OM] E-1 remote shutter release

Subject: Re: [OM] E-1 remote shutter release
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2016 10:44:31 -0700 (GMT-07:00)
     Processed, but not compressed.  I've gotten the distinct impression that
the OLY RAW format is a mildly compressed version of the individual pixels.
With three colour sensors per pixel, the 8M pixels of the E-500 sensor comes to
24M, which is what you get with the TIFF RAW format.  The manual states that
the TIFF format is uncompressed on page 31.

     We've been over this "processed" aspect before, mostly when discussing
monochrome format where the camera processes the image to correct for colour
temperature.

>>      Olympus was not consistent with the features from one model to the
>next.  For instance, the E-500 can record in RAW TIFF format, saving a
>full byte for each colour of each pixel, which results in 24M files.  And
>it will record RAW monochrome in both OLY and TIFF formats.  As far as I
>know, those recording formats are not available in subsequent models, and
>it gives the relatively lowly E-500 added value.
>
>The TIFF is a camera-processed image. It isn't RAW. It just isn't JPEG.

Chris

     - Hunter S. Thompson