Re: [OM] E-1 Updating

Subject: Re: [OM] E-1 Updating
From: David Thatcher <plusphoto@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2016 08:20:35 +0930
On Mon, Apr 04, 2016 at 11:07:07AM -0700, Chris Trask wrote:
>      It will if you shut off the automatic updates.  I do that with
> everything.

This is the apprach that my cousin took, despite my advice to the
contrary (because they "took too long to download" and slowed down his
www experience (downloading images) and wanted reboots at inconvenient
times.

He ended up with an e-mail worm that exploited a missing security
update. His ISP cut him off because of all the abuse complaints from
other ISPs (I imagine this is why 19CL no longer support XP machines on
their devices).

Before I got involved he'd installed and uninstalled three different AV
packages all of which  would not find the infection - the more complex
trojans/virii are able to 'hide' from AV software.  The best was
AVG(free), which at least told him it was blocking some SPAM e-mails -
he was sending a couple of hundred e-mails an hour. I ended up grabbing
his machine, putting it on an isolated LAN and manually wading through
the processes and registry to find it ('hijackthis' is a useful tool
here).

Same thing happened with a SMITfraud virus that had been in the wild
three days (SpyAxe anyone?). At the time none of the AV packages would
find it or remove it (one would remove it- requiring a reboot,  but not
clean out the installer which ran at boot time - back to square one).
That one took me over 10 hours and most of a case of Cooper's Sparkling
Ale to find, figure out how it worked and clean out of his PC.

So...  I religiously do the recommended updates (backing out the ones
that cause issues) and scan daily, sometimes more than once.  It's only
a matter of time before something gets me, though, I just hope it's not
a cryptolocker.

davidt