Re: [OM] Of Mice and Men

Subject: Re: [OM] Of Mice and Men
From: Paul Braun <pbraun42@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2016 11:34:11 -0500
Good for you, Chris.

Back when I upgraded to General in 1979, I actually passed the Extra code
test at 21wpm - just wasn't ready for the Extra theory.  However, I haven't
used CW in 30-some years, so I'm really, really rusty. Fortunately, they
eliminated Morse Code proficiency as part of the exam requirements a number
of years ago.  In a way, it's sad because when everything else breaks down,
and you're trying to get a weak signal through, nothing works like code.

I used hamtestonline.com for the studying and initial round of practice
exams, and then switched to QRZ.com's practice exam generator to get a
different algorithm for choosing questions.  Currently there are 702
questions in the pool, and the exam is 50 of those.  However, the FCC is
changing the question pool as of July 1st, so there will be a bunch of
different questions, one of the reasons I was so focused on getting it done
this month.

On Sun, Apr 10, 2016 at 10:44 AM, Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

>      I'm inspired by all of this.  I'm going to get serious about
> upgrading to general, maybe further.  It was the code portion of many years
> ago that discouraged me.
>
>      <<SNIP>>
>

> >After 37 years of dreaming of this day, and a good 6 months of studying
> >advanced radio and electronics theory and hundreds of rules and regs, I
> >passed my Extra. (For those of you non-hams, or non-US hams, Extra is our
> >top class).
> >
> >I went home, told Sheri, crawled into bed, got a 90-minute nap, and now
> I'm
> >working Rocks again until 10:30pm tonight....
> >

> Chris Trask
> N7ZWY / WDX3HLB
> Senior Member IEEE
> http://www.home.earthlink.net/~christrask/