Re: [OM] Free image viewer, editor, was: Morning snow squall...

Subject: Re: [OM] Free image viewer, editor, was: Morning snow squall...
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2016 14:42:02 -0700
On 4/11/2016 8:50 PM, Mike Lazzari wrote:
Don't write off Faststone. I actually kinda like FS for what it is and use it when it works which is much of the time. Easy and quick to learn. Small footprint.

Add this quick 2 minute edit to the mix. Pulled levels, fine tune color (more blue, less green) which I coulda done in levels if I took a bit more time, LCE, done. Faster than PS or LR will load since I'm already using FS as my viewer. If FS isn't going to work then simple to export to DxO or whatever.

http://www.interisland.net/watershed/mike/misc/Snow_flower.jpg

Nicely done. But not quite to my point. I was thinking, and writing, about those who are not experienced at editing/post processing, and uninterested in learning about it. People, for example, who wouldn't know LCE if it came up and bit them, who wouldn't immediately know which color sliders to slide which way, and so on.

I was thinking of people like Rick and like Chuck's relatives, and some people I know, not evaluating FS for use by experienced editors. So I was investigating editors with good one or two click solutions.

The other freebie I tried, RawTherapee, did the color well, but Auto Levels was fooled by this snow scene into going a little dark. I just tried the "two click solution"* on some other images, and it did an excellent job of creating the results I think such folks would be looking for. I was really impressed with a couple of them. And, as expected, Auto Levels blew out a single bright flower catching the last rays of sun against a dim background.

Simple Moose

* OK, there are a couple of clicks to get from one Auto click to the next, so it's four, total, plus one to save the results.