Re: [OM] OM; Zuiko manual macro 50/2

Subject: Re: [OM] OM; Zuiko manual macro 50/2
From: Rick Beckrich <rbeckrich@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2016 22:11:11 -0400
Totally OT and probably of little interest, but Moose recalling his
Praktiflex and the bad finder...
Seems like most East German cameras came with quirks (OK, faults... but
they were cheap!)

My Practina FX had the worst motor drive ever - spring wound and had to be
readjustedto the
camera for every new roll. A real pain when you're shooting motor sports.

I shouldn't complain; the sequence I shot of young Mexican race driver
Ricardo Rodriquez
rolling his Porsche RS at Meadowdale earned me my first SI sale.

On Mon, Apr 18, 2016 at 6:49 PM, Mike Gordon via olympus <
olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Congrats--very interesting lens.  Some like its overall rendering so much
> it is there favorite walk around 50.  The bokeh  for macro is overall much
> better  under most conditions than the 50/3.5 but can be busy at times.
> The bokeh is good as best I can recall  with distant backgrounds at most
> apertures but with distant backgrounds
>  the absolute blur is a f(physical size lens aperture) and  only very
> modesty a function of the
>  lens design.
>
> Chuck raises a significant point about hand holding for macro.  Yes it IS
> easier to hand hold as shorter FL macro lens  with less motion blurring
> than a long FL lens  at the same magnification.
> A bit of geometry/algebra will yield the 1/FL  as minimal speed  rule of
> thumb should be modified by the factor (1+M)**2 ---so at 1:1  four times
> the speed is required for example.   So  magnification does indeed matter
> but so does FL!!!
>
> Yes it is true, Mike
>

> --

As much as I hate to "crow", I'm delighted to tell you that my 5-star
reviewed hardcover book for kids, ages 4-to-8,
*The Little Crow Who Could Not CAW
<http://www.amazon.com/Little-Crow-Who-Could-Not-ebook/dp/B01B2028SS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1455042958&sr=8-1&keywords=rick+beckrich>,*
is
finally available as an interactive Kindle e-book from Amazon.com.

    (P.S. - The Kindle reader is a free app from Amazon that works on PC,
laptops, and most hand-held devices.)