Re: [OM] Chuck's pano is on Zone-10 + building the pano

Subject: Re: [OM] Chuck's pano is on Zone-10 + building the pano
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2016 09:50:25 -0400
Thanks. Yes, I also prefer the 60x20 because it comes closest to what you'd see visually when standing where I took the shots. These trees are humongous. Capturing the tops of the trees required tilting the camera about 45 degrees up. The greater image height versions make the scene appear as though there is a large empty space between the camera and trees and such is not the case. After the 60x20 I'd choose one of the 60x24s. Rolf chose #2 probably because it clears away some of the less attractive foreground grass. But it also displays more sky than you'd see without looking up. #1 cuts the excess sky away but at the cost of showing more foreground. I think that's why the 60x20 works best since it discards both the excess foreground and excess sky... once again, the closest to what you'd actually see with the eye.

This was actually my third try at this pano. I had various problems with the other two from too much wind, tripod not level enough and focal length too short. I had tried 28mm and 30mm and finally ended up at 37mm (74mm equiv). The day this one was shot it was still pretty breezy and I was concerned about the ability of the stitching software to put it together with Spanish moss never in the same place twice.

Whether necessary or not I don't know but, since the image consisted mostly of leaves and Spanish moss moving in the wind, I chose very small movement increments and lots of images. There are 39 images taken in 3 rows of 13 with the camera in portrait orientation. The horizontal movement is only about 1/3 of a frame between shots. The vertical overlap between rows is about 1/2 a frame. Final image size is 12512 x 7356 after a little cropping to compensate for imperfect tripod leveling. A 5 foot wide print will only have resolution of 208 dpi. I think that's adequate for a print to be viewed from about 5 feet away but still need to make some small section test prints. A 4 foot wide print will have resolution of 260 dpi which I know is good for anyone except Moose. I used the Manfrotto geared head on the tripod. I'm not sure I could do this without it.

Since the top row is taken with the camera tilted up about 45 degrees I was very concerned about vertical perspective distortion and what problems that might cause for stitching. I thought about trying to correct it before stitching but then realized that with no reference points I had no way to do so. Trying to stitch it was a total failure for Photoshop. I tried all the options only to discover that each option produced a different failure. After having invested so much time and effort I was distraught that I might not be able to make a successful final image. Then I remembered Hugin. I downloaded the latest version and Hugin *automatically* produced the final image as though it was child's play.

Other stuff: Camera in Av mode with exposure compensation set for each row to produce a "shoot to the right" exposure for the brightest part of each row. That was a guess and it seemed to work well to account for the large brightness differences from blue sky at the top to shadows at the bottom. Hugin seemed to get along fine with that and made smooth color/brightness transitions everywhere. Photoshop sometimes botched the color/brightness smoothing as well as the stitching and distortion. Before stitching I did exposure adjustments on the raw files in ACR on a row-by-row basis. I used the brightest image in the row as the basis for the adjustments and then applied that to all the other images in the row. I then converted all the images to 16 bit TIFFs and fed that to Hugin. I then used the final Hugin 16 bit TIFF image for other adjustments in ACR. It came out OK but I don't know if it was necessary to pre-adjust all the individual images.

Oh, dear!  What to do next.  :-)

Chuck Norcutt