[OM] Thanks to Moose for hand-held focus stacking

Subject: [OM] Thanks to Moose for hand-held focus stacking
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2016 21:01:31 -0400
I decided to give it a try. My results are here <http://zone-10.com/tope2/main.php?g2_itemId=19915> I was stacking 4 images at different focus points. I've only shown 2 of the original images. The first was the nearest focus point and the second shows the farthest focus point. The 3rd image is the focus stacked result from Photoshop.

Images shot on E-M1 with m.Zuiko 14-150 at 90mm f/6.3 from about 6 feet.

Observations:

Moose's Photoshop procedure is close but not completely accurate

The whole process is amazingly easy to both shoot and process

I elected to use content-aware fill to cover some missing bits on the edges and corners due to mis-alighnment. Worked great.

The resulting image has lost considerable vibrance. Probably easily recovered by running back through ACR but I didn't try.

This particular image has somehow picked up distortion in the vertical bars in the background that is not seen in any of the originals. I tried dropping an image I thought might be complicit in the distortion (the one most out of alignment with the others) but that didn't help anything.

The processing steps I used
===========================

1) File => Scripts => Load files into stack

2) In Load Layers into stack dialogue:
        Add open files as desired
        Select "Attempt to automatically align source files"

3) After the alignment make sure all the image layers are selected.
   If not, hold down the CTRL key and click on each layer that needs
   to be selected.

4) Edit => Auto Blend Layers (if this is grayed-out no layers are
   selected for blending.. see step 3)

   In the auto-blend dialogue select:
        Stack images
        Seamless tones and colors
        Content-aware fill transparent areas (if desired)

5) Flatten image, remove any fill selection marching ants with CTRL-D

6) Save final image under a new name.

Chuck Norcutt