Re: Off list C-U Lenses

Subject: Re: Off list C-U Lenses
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2016 21:54:07 -0700
On 4/21/2016 8:02 PM, usher99@xxxxxxx wrote:
Thanks Moose.  I have a copy on my phone, PC, and Marnie's iPad.  Marnie was flipping through it last night and I really wanted to keep reading.  I'll swipe her pad tonight after she dozes off.  (We have a houseful with my brother,  his wife and two kids)

Sounds like fun, as long as the visit is not too long. :-)

  Not too much new ground thus far but I really just enjoy his images and writing. Not sure how you ran into the PDF version.

I have an EPUB copy, too. The images look a little better in the PDF. Haven't tried the iPad mini, but it looks quite good on the PC. I went looking for a copy, 'cause the one you linked to was obviously missing the end of the relevant pp. I ran across a huge bunch of photo books in one place, quite a mixed bag of about 70 books. Might even be a handful worth reading. :-)

  I may yet need a hard copy too.   Wish he did mention IQ differences, if any, with the 500D.

Both two element C-Us designed for use the same focal length lenses by premier makers. Must be really similar. About all I can see as a possible advantage to the Canon might be newer coatings. The 5T & 6T have good coatings, but not as impressive as the new Oly MCON-P02.

I imagine he switched because the Canon could cover larger lens thread sizes, 67, 72 and 77 mm, than the Nikons, including one of his favorites. And it's easier to recommend something in his book that's easy to buy.

Downside with critters of course is working distance--0.5m or so at maximum.

Yes, and an advantage to the Nikon 5T, at 1.5 diopters, for lenses it fits. It's easy enough to work out the working distance numbers and magnifications, but I've not been good at figuring out before hand what I will like using in the field. I do shoot a lot of flowers, including quite tiny ones, and almost 20" of working distance is ever so much greater than the 12-50 in Macro mode or the 60/2.8 Macro.

I do really appreciate the reach of the 100-400 and its slightly closer focus and greater mag than the 75-300. There are so many times when there's something small - ish that I can't get close to. You'll soon be seeing some flowers shot from a boardwalk, where several feet was the closest one could get.

I'm going a little overboard with trying out a 500D. I've ordered a XUME magnetic QR filter holder. If it works out, I will be able to pull the C-U out of a holder on my belt and slap it onto the front of the lens in a couple of seconds - and reverse as quickly. Whether the magnet will be sufficient remains to be seen. One video review shows the guy lifting a heavy lens and shaking it by the filter. And the 100-400 has two hoods. One is a short slide-out one, which should nicely protect the C-U from any side bumps. XUME couldn't tell me how well it might work, but they have a 30 day no questions asked return policy and free shipping, so all I might be out is return shipping of a small, light package.

One of my problems as a photographer out in nature has always been that so much of the time I'm walking with someone else(s). That and a possible bit of impatience.  ;-)   The up side is that I am able to see and shoot so many, various things. I think I generally bring back a wider range of subjects than most photographers, and I really enjoy that.

In any case, I really appreciate solutions that involve the minimum of fussing and juggling with gear. Extension tubes work well with the 75-300 when I try them out. But out in the woods, etc., experience shows that I hardly ever do the lens/tube/body juggling thing.

It's always possible that I may change, and I will do some tube testing, but . . . :-)

Moose

--
What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?