Re: [OM] Thanks to Moose for hand-held focus stacking

Subject: Re: [OM] Thanks to Moose for hand-held focus stacking
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2016 22:20:52 -0700
On 4/21/2016 6:01 PM, Chuck Norcutt wrote:
I decided to give it a try. My results are here <http://zone-10.com/tope2/main.php?g2_itemId=19915> I was stacking 4 images at different focus points. I've only shown 2 of the original images. The first was the nearest focus point and the second shows the farthest focus point. The 3rd image is the focus stacked result from Photoshop.

Images shot on E-M1 with m.Zuiko 14-150 at 90mm f/6.3 from about 6 feet.

Observations:

Moose's Photoshop procedure is close but not completely accurate

Worked for me . . .

The whole process is amazingly easy to both shoot and process

Yay! That's what I was trying to get across. It's just plain fun, and the results beat anything that can be done without stacking.

I elected to use content-aware fill to cover some missing bits on the edges and corners due to mis-alighnment. Worked great.

The resulting image has lost considerable vibrance. Probably easily recovered by running back through ACR but I didn't try.

Ah, here you differed. Did you edit each in ACR first? I just loaded them with defaults, then edited the blended result in PS, so noticed nothing awry. If you did pre-edit them, is it possible that the script approach somehow fell back to defaults? Next time, you could edit and load each into PS first, make sure they look the way you want, stack by copying, then Auto Blend, just to check. Or invoke ACR within PS as a filter to adjust the sliders you are used to. Filter=>Camera Raw Filter or Shift-Ctrl-A

I didn't notice any appearance change from the actual process, other than fixed
brightness where I missed it. :-)

This particular image has somehow picked up distortion in the vertical bars in the background that is not seen in any of the originals. I tried dropping an image I thought might be complicit in the distortion (the one most out of alignment with the others) but that didn't help anything.

I haven't run into anything like that, but also haven't had such strong, relatively in-focus lines. Might be fairly easy to paint the masks from the blending to get that area from only one shot?

Blender Moose