Re: [OM] m.4/3 extension tubes, was: Re: C-U Lenses [was Color... At las

Subject: Re: [OM] m.4/3 extension tubes, was: Re: C-U Lenses [was Color... At last!]
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2016 01:39:52 -0700
On 4/23/2016 2:15 PM, Chuck Norcutt wrote:

On 4/23/2016 3:50 PM, Moose wrote:

So I'm also exploring the C-U lens approach. John Shaw writes that he
uses it with great success, many images sold.

I just took the 300 with both tubes out back and did some actual shooting. I was having fun.

Now we're talking!

I'd guess working distance at 300mm with both tubes is about 1 meter.

Sounds about right.

Since you've been singing the praises of long working distances I'll remind you that your maximum working distance with the 500D is 1/2 meter with the main lens at infinity. It only gets closer from there.

I'm aware of that, but it's still longer than the working distance of my other lens alternatives for those mags, and not right on top of the subject.

I've also had a Nikon 5T for some time. At 1.5 diopters, it adds 6-7" to the working distance. Preliminary indications are that on a 72-62 mm step-down ring, it won't cause noticeable vignetting, which surprises me. Actual step-down, which will get it closer in to the lens FE than the two rings I've tried it with today, arrives Wed.

I'd know more, with actual focal distance numbers, had our bathroom sink not backed up. Not the trap, but in the line in the wall. A B***h to get at and work on, but I eventually got in there and broke through. And of course everything's nice and old. Now there's just a tiny drip over a little bucket until I get by the hardware store.

Family coming in early tomorrow afternoon, so no careful measurements for a few days, but perhaps some practical tests if we go wandering.

Visitation Moose

.