Re: [OM] GPS info required

Subject: Re: [OM] GPS info required
From: Mike Lazzari <watershed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2016 20:59:35 -0700
A gps is much more accurate with lat/lon than with elevation. I'm going to guess that the absolute accuracy as stated by your phone is approximate and will change as you move around. Tree cover, buildings, canyon will make a big difference. This will change the relative accuracy of course. May be 30m at the bottom in the trees and 10m on top. With my handheld gps I can calibrate the gps altimeter with the barometer. Don't some/most new phones have a barometer? Might improve vertical accuracy. I find that if I stand still for a while the elevation bounces around and settles down to about 3-5ft +/- depending upon circumstances.