Re: [OM] Nathan's PAD 2/5/2016: the world best fries

Subject: Re: [OM] Nathan's PAD 2/5/2016: the world best fries
From: Paul Braun <pbraun42@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 2 May 2016 16:31:28 -0500
Dammit.  Now I'm hungry for fries.

There's a food truck somewhere here on campus frequently that serves
fancy-schmancy gourmet frites, and last time I walked past it both sounded
and smelled good.  But there was a huge queue, and the
steak-and-bleu-cheese frites that sounded so incredible were also $12.

So, I will treat myself to that maybe once every 6 months if they're that
good.

On Mon, May 2, 2016 at 4:17 PM, Nathan Wajsman <photo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> This is more than about fries. I had to cut short my vacation in Denmark
> by one day because of an important meeting at the EU Commission tomorrow
> which I have to attend. So I flew to Brussels this afternoon, and this
> evening I found myself on Place Jourdan near my hotel, sharing a beer or
> two with a fellow economist from the Commission. I go to Brussels a lot,
> but this is my first visit since the terrorist attacks, which makes it
> especially important on a personal level. I am determined to do the things
> I always do (so I violated the guidelines from my office to avoid public
> transport and took the bus from the airport to the city as is my habit) and
> enjoy the city as I always have, not letting the islamists dictate what I
> do and where I go.
>
> At Place Jourdan there is a friterie, Maison Antoine, which supposedly has
> the best fries in Brussels. There is always a queue but on this Monday
> evening it was short enough that I decided to go for it to see what the
> fuss is about. And by golly, these are indeed the best fries I have had in
> my life. They were crisp outside, soft inside, not greasy but not dry,
> served with a great mayonnaise. You buy them at the friterie and you can
> eat them at the bars lining the square. This was my dinner tonight: fries
> from Antoine washed down with Westmalle Tripel. Simple and perfect.
>
> The key to Belgian fries is the second frying at a very high temperature:
> http://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-Lw4q22V/A
>
> Serving the fries;
> http://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-N98bD4m/A
>
> Ready to eat: