Re: [OM] Nathan's PAD 3/5/2016: Brussels lives!

Subject: Re: [OM] Nathan's PAD 3/5/2016: Brussels lives!
From: Jim Nichols <jhnichols@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 3 May 2016 16:33:15 -0500
Thanks, Nathan.  I'm happy to see evidence that doesn't appear on Fox News!

Jim Nichols
Tullahoma, TN USA

On 5/3/2016 4:22 PM, Nathan Wajsman wrote:
After my meetings ended this afternoon, I totally violated the security advice
of my office by taking the metro to the centre (we have been told to walk or
use taxis when in Brussels). I went to Place de la Bourse to see the flowers
etc. that people have placed there in memory of the victims, and then I went to
a couple of my favourite watering holes for liquid refreshments. But the four
images I show for today demonstrate that the city lives on.

Metro stations and other public infrastructure are guarded by armed soldiers
and police. This is the new normal, sadly:
http://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-FQRzcsM/A

But people are out and about, and are happy when they feel like being happy. Here,
some passers-by on Place du Trône, near the place where I lived for a few
months when I first arrived in Brussels in 1995:
http://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-Nmr4DQb/A

And then I walked to L’Ultime Atome in Ixelles, sat outside for a couple of
beers and photographed more happy people:
http://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-M5DLX2Q/A
http://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-LQkDRff/A

And it made me happy too and made my already excellent Belgian beer taste even
better.

Cheers,
Nathan

Nathan Wajsman