Re: [OM] IMGs: Storm Damage

Subject: Re: [OM] IMGs: Storm Damage
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 6 May 2016 10:39:01 -0700 (GMT-07:00)
     Sadly, this is how most people learn the hard truth about "licensed"
contractors.  I learned to do roofing and masonry when I was in high school, so
when the time came to replace mine I did it myself, exceeding UBC.  I did part
of it in the fall and completed it in the spring.  Ended up being in a Google
Earth photo around 15 December just after I had winterised the first half and
was checking everything over.

     Same with electrical, plumbing, carpentry, and woodwork.  After the bout
with the roofing contractor and later a Sears plumber I decided to just do it
all by myself to save time, energy, and money.

>We had a well-known, established, licensed contractor replace the roof on
>our house in Rock Hill, right before we left for Iran.  It didn't rain the
>whole time we were gone.  When we got back, RH had a torrential rain with 6
>inches in 2 hours.  The roof leaked so much that it was raining as much in
>the house as it was outside.  They are going to have to replace the whole
>roof again.
>
>The painting contractor that we hired to do the woodwork in the farmhouse
>was so bad that Tom had to scrape all of the paint off and do it again
>himself.  He didn't even move the windows up and down to paint the trim!
>
>What a mess!  We have not been able to find any contractors that we would
>ever hire a second time.  We're looking for one now to do the porch on the
>farmhouse and haven't found anybody even willing to bid on the job.  What
>unemployment!!

Chris

     - Hunter S. Thompson