Re: [OM] C-U Lens follies

Subject: Re: [OM] C-U Lens follies
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 8 May 2016 06:40:55 -0700 (GMT-07:00)
Cc: usher99@xxxxxxx
     I have been using Hoya +1/+2/+4 achromatic sets for decades, and recently
I narrowed it down to just the +1 as I never used the other two.  Same for
extension tubes, where I only carry a 10mm.  My field filter set is now just
warming (81A and 81B) and cooling (82A and 82B), an ND2, +1 close-up, linear
polariser, and a few adapter rings.  Fits nicely in one of those Tamrac filter
wallets.

     Never noticed any aberration with the Hoya achromats, but since I've only
used the +1 I might not be experiencing any.

>There are several sites summarizing the achromatic diopters available.
>I am slightly puzzled as to why they are not all that readily available
>in lower powers.
>
>I like this  site:
>
>http://www.ki.tng.de/~sgude/achromats.html
>
>Not sure where Moose found the Minolta one, but these are not that easy
>to find.  I went back and looked at my saved links from a few years ago
>and  was impressed that a pixel peeper
>FM'er noted that a well thought of  Nykon tele zoom at 200mm performed
>better with the Nykon 5T or 6T or Pentax T132  at infinity focus than
>the zoom  alone at MFD--curious.
>
>As Moose is interested largely at 400mm, the extension doesn't look that
>useful or practical, but perhaps at shorter FL's.
>
>Closely revisiting CU lens for upcoming trip, Mike

Chris

     - Hunter S. Thompson