Re: [OM] C-U Lens follies

Subject: Re: [OM] C-U Lens follies
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 9 May 2016 10:15:51 -0700 (GMT-07:00)
     By way of good fortune, I found a set of 7mm and 14mm Olympus extension
tubes on evilBay for just $15 each, which is damned cheap, especially since
they come with the original boxes.  The Vivitar extension tubes I've been using
only go down to 12mm, and there are times when that is a bit too much.  The 7mm
extension tube is actually shorter than screwing together the end pieces of the
cheap 5-piece extension tube sets.  This is probably because the release
mechanism for the older OM mount requires far less thickness than does the
newer OM 4/3 mount.

     My expectation is that the 7mm Olympus extension tube will be more usable
than the 12mm Vivitar, and will make a less expensive substitute for the +0.5
close-up lens, plus I won't need to be concerned about an extra piece of glass.
 The only drawback is that I can only use this with OM-mount lenses, but that
is of little or no inconvenience.  BTW:  I did find a 67mm B&W (German) +0.5
close=up:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/B-W-67mm-Close-up-NL-0-5-Filter-with-case-/172087736125?hash=item28113a773d:g:NUAAAOSwFqJWsoh-

     I was surprised to see that there we very few, if any, native extension
tubes for Pentax and Nikon.  But then it has been my experience that the old OM
line had many more accessories to offer.  Pentax did have a significant
advantage in that they kept with their P/K bayonet mount from the very
beginning right to the very end, burying the electrical contacts into the
mating flange rather than designing an entirely new bayonet mount, as did
everyone else.

>     I thought as much.  I wouldn't mind finding one of those +0.5 close-ups.
>Tried years ago but they were scarce and expensive.  It might be more suitable
>to find a very short extension tube.
>

>>Chromatic aberration gets worse with glass curvature aka magnification.
>>A +1 isn't straining much of anything.  The achromats become more
>>necessary as the magnification goes up.
>>
>>Chuck Norcutt

Chris

     - Hunter S. Thompson