Re: [OM] E-M1 vs E-M5II

Subject: Re: [OM] E-M1 vs E-M5II
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 9 May 2016 21:58:41 -0700
On 5/9/2016 6:01 PM, DZDub wrote:
On Mon, May 9, 2016 at 6:38 PM, Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

. . .
And, of course, I can't hand hold an 800 mm FF lens. :-)
I have CF tripod legs but still prefer my extra-large Manfrotto and battery
grips.  I mean, what's the difference if you're wedded to a Canon body?

Not much IF have so burdened yourself. :-)

Tripod mount on a large lens is my humble notion of convenience.

My new 100-400 does have a nice tripod mount. I didn't even take it out of the package until I was running C-U tests. I've not used it at all in the field - which is rather the point for me. Setting up a tripod for each shot is wildly different than hand holding. It makes me feel free, and more able to react to what I see.

LV of any ilk is convenient enough for me.

Wildly different on an ILC than a DSLR - to me. Even tied to a tripod, I hated
the LV exposure process.

I don't really miss that on a 5D.  I was
just thinking that it might be time to trade up for some more pretzels.

Diminutive proportions were never the selling point for me about Oly.  I
tried the E-4xx series for the size advantage, but even the E-410 with kit
lenses was hard to carry on a motorcycle trip I took five years ago. I was
also hauling tent, camping gear, and clothes to last a week.

Ah, the cameras and lenses for that now exist. I'd go Panny GM5, 12-32 and 35-100. You wouldn't believe how small and light that kit is.

But of course I don't travel by any sort of cycle these days . . . Actually, I never 'got' motorcycle travel. Riding one brother's demon bike of the time was fun, but for open air travel, it's a convertible for me. My other brother used to like to travel on bikes, but I'll bet his Harley hasn't been on the road for at least five years.

The Zuiko lenses I use the most -- 90/2 and 35-80 -- are really too big for
OM bodies.  They match up well with a Canon or an OM with a motor.

I'm back to my theme of ease and freedom. It's native, AF lenses for me. (Even if only for EXIF. I LOVE knowing where I was and what the camera settings were!) :-D

I disliked my 90/2 and never had the 35-80, but I do know what you mean about
the larger MF lenses on OMs.

I'm interested in an E-M1 mainly because there won't be an E-7.

Not all that much point, I suppose, if you are going to stay with tripod and MF lenses. Except perhaps the Focus Stacking. And the E-M5 II adds the rather amazing HR mode.

Rain Don't Bother Moose