Re: [OM] IMG: Iranian Money

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Iranian Money
From: DZDub <jdubikins@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 10 May 2016 09:20:34 -0500
On Tue, May 10, 2016 at 8:22 AM, Tina Manley <tmanley@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> PESO:
>
> We never got used to using Iranian money.  When we lived in Iran in the
> 1970's one dollar equaled 8 rials.  Today one dollar equals 30,000 rials.
> That makes for awkwardly large amounts of bills so prices are often given
> in tomans, which means you knock one zero off of the rial amount.  What Tom
> would do is hold out a handful of money and let the merchant choose what he
> needed:
>

> http://tinamanley.photoshelter.com/gallery-image/Iran/G0000YmlbTddL96g/I0000r1PIO5ggNp4
>
> We were never cheated and they always rounded out the price in our favor!

That's a charming scene!  I spent a semester of college in the UK in 1973
and they were still getting comfortable with conversion from shillings to
pence.  As I was used to working with 100 pennies to the dollar, it was a
snap.  It was a little more complicated figuring pounds to the dollar,
which was about .4 to $1.  But Nixon was in the process of going down (one
gentleman who picked me up as I was hitchhiking remarked that Nixon "ought
not to order any carpets because he might not be around to see them laid")
and all the pounds I had purchased appreciated against the dollar.  I was
thrifty and made a little profit before returning to the USA.

Joel W.